august

Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Moment in which You Can Choose.

Moms aren't perfect creatures.

I am so far from it that I don't even have to state it. Because, yes obviously, not perfect. That would be like me saying I wasn't "quite" 6 ft tall. I'm 5'2". We all lose it sometimes. We blow up and we apologize. We swear this will help us remember, and we blow up again. Life gets in the way of our very best intentions sometimes.

So know that right now I am not talking about these moments. 

I'm talking about the moments that teeter on the edge. The moments that either decision is an entire step away. You have to choose which way you are going to expend your energy- the step back, or the step off the cliff. 

When you can, step back. 

When you know that you would have "every right" to lose your mind; you're tempted because you'd be "justified" and yet something is allowing you to freeze and think before acting, choose patience. 

This morning, I took the girls to the zoo for a play date. E had a meltdown because I would not let her sit on the rocks in some sort of non-violent demonstration all day. Maybe she didn't like the living conditions of the animals, or maybe she's just one and a half. Either way, I had to pick her up and carry her. I don't have to tell you how that went. Meanwhile, Jo fell and skinned her knees up like she hasn't in her entire life. We were just about as far back in the zoo from the entrance as we could have been in the park. I had two screaming, crying children. One flailing, half on my hip, half in a football hold, reaching for strangers to save her and let her sit on rocks, one a tad bloody and squeezing what had to be a third hand that I sprouted. There was much holding and injury and flailing and crying and I really don't even know how I had them both. And it was hot. And, as Jo lamented, people were staring at us (Hi. Hey. How are you? Good? Me too. Be sure you don't miss the lions, they're majestic creatures.).

My mind was telling me to just tune it all out and march, but my heart heard my little girl telling me how much she hurt. I wanted to get them out of there ASAP, but she needed reassurance. So over the protests of my tiny animal rights activist, I told Jo my multiple step plan I had for getting her patched up, distracting her a little and letting her know I would take care of her. I hear you, I'm so sorry you're hurt. I tried to walk briskly, but I made sure not to walk faster than those banged up little knees felt like going. I told her we'd wrap her up like a mummy if we needed to. She giggled through her tears, and in the middle of it all, I felt relieved. No cliff diving for us gals today....yet, anyway.

I wonder how many other times I could have chosen in the middle of the crazy. I can't change those times, but on my journey to be a more intentional mom, I can move forward continuing to look for that one moment on the ledge where I still have the chance to step back. Skinned knees heal faster than a heart that's been hurt by a sharp tone or short response where comfort was craved.

No comments:

Post a Comment