august

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Let Them Make Cake: Why Your Kids Should Be in the Kitchen.

Y'all. I love to cook. I love it. You know what else I love? My bebes.

Know what I love THE MOST IN THE UNIVERSE? Putting those two loves together.

        This one. Baking is her fave. 

I KNOW. I know it sounds like chaos. I know it brings out everyone's inner control freak to watch their 5 year old crack an egg, or your 3 year old stir maniacally, spilling over the rim of the bowl, or your grade schooler using the range for the first time. But I'm begging you, pleeeeeease just do it. You will never regret it. Here are just a few reasons why it's worth the mess and the time.

1. You will make great memories. I have had some of the best conversations with my bigs while crimping ravioli, prepping veggies, or folding whipped cream into a frosting. It's been proven that when children's hands are occupied with a task, they are more likely to open up about things that are on their minds. I have found this to be true time and time again. Even when there isn't much talking, just remembering all the holiday meals and fun nights where we came together to create something yummy gives those occasions new significance.

2. Because this is a life skill disguised as fun. One day, they're going to have to feed themselves, and maybe even others. They don't need to be scared of the kitchen. The end.

3. You will be boosting their self-esteem. I mean, even as an adult, I'm pretty proud of myself when something, especially a new recipe, turns out nicely. They get to prove responsibility with kitchen tools, working their way up as they go. They take risks, make suggestions and come up with their own combinations. When you give them the chance to try them, they see that it went great, or that it didn't and that's okay, too. Back to the cutting board. It's the best thing ever to see the kids' faces when everyone is enjoying something they had a hand in making. Which brings me to number 4.

4. You will open your picky kid's mind...even if just a little. Because who doesn't want to enjoy the fruits of their labor? Kids are way more likely to be open to a food if they've been there helping with the entire process.

5. Because math and science. If you are one of those crazy people that actually go by recipes, this will especially be true for you. I'm a bit of a maverick and measure practically nothing, but that is a subject for a different day. Measuring, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, conversions, physics, and chemistry: every bit of that is going on when you bake. You don't have to point all this learn-y goodness out as you go, but if you feel called to do so, it's all there. And it's pretty cool.

6. They can't play video games or scroll their phone with dough on their hands. And neither can you. They are all yours in the kitchen, and you theirs. It's fantastic and contributes greatly to number one.

7. Fine motor skills. Pouring, cutting, scooping, leveling, stirring, spreading: these things are practice in hand-eye coordination and fine tuning control, just as much as zipping a zipper or buttoning a shirt, and at least as much fun.

8. One day they will be self-sufficient enough to give you an occasional break. And that....that is the greatest gift of all.

So my challenge to you is to set some time aside this weekend and make something amazing with your littles. It doesn't have to be complex. I promise you that the end product is wonderful beyond words. Especially if the end product is cake.



No comments:

Post a Comment