august

Sunday, August 3, 2014

To Those About to School

Where in the world did the summer go? Wasn't it just May? How is it August, a week away from the beginning of the school year for so many?

My bunch is gearing up another year here at home. There was a moment, as there seems to be every summer, where I wasn't sure that this would be the case, but here I am: here I am negotiating a shirt/no shirt during school hours policy with Bay, restocking journals, making sure Jo has one eraser for every month she's been alive (perfectionism is a struggle, y'all), accumulating activities for E that make it unlikely less likely that she destroys the house while I teach, making book lists, and other general flying by the seat of my pants homeschooling things.

However you go about it, school is upon us all. Valar knowledgus: All men must learn. Or something.

Just so you know, I'm praying for you.

To the mama who has been down this road before and is gearing up for yet another year: You rock. You have this down pat by now, you vet, you. I'm praying for you and your little ones that the days are as long or as short as you need them to be, that you help a rookie mom out when you see her trying to figure it out in the middle of the cafeteria or at co-op. I pray that the school year goes smoothly for you, and the workload doesn't result in anyone cutting stress bangs.

To the mama who is sending her first baby off to kindergarten: Oh goodness, my heart is with you. I cried and cried on Bay's first day of school. And then, someone would make me laugh, and I would cry because I remembered how sad I actually was. He was totally fine and I was a blubbering fool who barely held it together long enough to get through that parking lot and back into the car. I don't care how tough you think you are, sending off your five year old who suddenly looks so tiny in that sea of older kids (2nd graders= NFL linebackers) is HARD AND EMOTIONAL WORK. If I were there, I would hand you a coffee and something chocolatey and some tissues because this day is not for the faint of heart. I pray that your sadness wears off quickly and is replaced with excitement as you see all the new things your sweet kiddo is conquering. I pray that pick-up, be that from school or after-school care is one of the sweetest times of day for you both as you are happily reunited, and I pray that this is an amazing start to the next thirteen years.

To the mama who is beginning her first day of homeschool: First off, deeeep breaths. It is a little scary to be in charge of your child's education, isn't it? I promise you, it will not always be as overwhelming as it may feel right this moment. One day at a time. If I could give you one gift, it would be the gift of reassurance- you've got this! Have FUN, and as I told a friend earlier today, measure how your days are going by your child's progress, not Pinterest. Sooner than later, you will fall into your family's unique rhythm of what works for you all, and that is a beautiful thing. I pray for you to remember to heap grace on yourself and your children as you navigate these new waters, I pray that you remember that learning can happen ANYWHERE, and I pray that you take moments for yourself, because you cannot give to them what you have not managed to get for yourself.

To the mama who is a year, or years, away from this day: Cherish it. Even when they're driving you crazy, even when you wonder if they will ever learn their ABCs or potty train or stop eating dirt- savor as best as you can. I know that isn't a popular sentiment, but coming from someone who blinked and suddenly had a pre-teen standing before her, please take my word for it. Love on those babies, because your turn is coming faster than you know. They are growing up on us, mamas. I pray that you have a wonderful support system, I pray that you remember that some days, playing is more important than your to do list. I pray these are sweet years for you before the backpack days.

Oh, and also: mornings. I'm praying for us ALL concerning mornings. Mostly that one.

Amen.

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing!! GREAT words of wisdom and encouragement! I <3 you!!

    ReplyDelete