august

Friday, January 7, 2011

Nest wishes

A devotion with my futureSquid last night that's kept me thinking, a mom friend questioning these same things over a blog, a challenge from a dear pal, and a lingering frustration all have come to a head to lead to this particular post. Our devotion last night was about whether we do all we can to teach our kids about God throughout our days. And, when we got honest with ourselves, we could most certainly do better. This, with other things listed above, got me thinking about the things I ultimately want us as parents to have given both Bug and Sugarplum Fairy when they head into the world, and out of the nest.

I hope Bug knows the grace of God, and the protection His commandments provide in saving us from ourselves. I hope he knows he's never too far away to come home. I hope he knows the contentment of working hard like his dad does. I hope he still holds doors and lets ladies go first, and defends their honor, were the need to arise. Speaking of ladies, I hope he wisely chooses to be around those who love God, who are intelligent and challenge him to think, and who do not need to put a man down to feel like a woman. I hope he remembers not to take himself too seriously, secure a solid group of good friends, and make time to "play". I hope he never lets anyone talk him out of pursuing what his heart loves due to its lack of trendiness. I hope he is able to have a strong sense of self, also like his dad. I hope prayer is his first resort, and not his last. I hope he knows he's capable of whatever he sets his mind to- that he absolutely has what it takes. I hope he calls futureSquid when he's doubting that. I hope he remembers that the world measures success in a different way than God instructs us to, and when he feels like holding a grudge, I hope he remembers what Jesus did for us. I hope he stands up for what he believes in. I hope he knows he is loved by so many people so much, and I hope he believes in himself as much as I believe in him.

I hope SF knows about the grace and protection of God as well. I hope she understands that there is strength in softness and power in true feminity; she doesn't have to model herself after a man to get where she wants to go, that God made her just as He intended to, and He will help her over any hurdles in her path. In that same turn, I hope she knows that being proud of being a woman has nothing to do with the destructive behavior of emasculating men. I hope she knows how truly beautiful she is- both inside and out, and I hope she doesn't let magazines or videos tell her otherwise and cause her to compromise herself, or feel badly. I hope she's able to make that stubbornness work to her advantage, and persevere through times when she may doubt her talents. I hope she knows she is loved unconditionally. I hope she understands how invaluable being a lady is- how it will help her words carry more weight, strange as it may seem. I hope she knows that no man will love her like her daddy, but the one who wants to put a ring on her finger should come as close as possible. I hope she remembers to treat others well, and not use her words like arrows, but like a balm. I hope she is lucky enough to have a handful of close girlfriends, and I hope she is able to find the humor in life. I hope she knows her identity lies in who she is in Christ, and can forgive herself when she inevitably makes mistakes. I hope she remembers to call me most days.

I could write forever, my wishes for my beautiful family could go on and on, but those are some of my biggies. On my own, I could never accomplish anything close to this, but I pray that with God at the helm and me and futureSquid helping every way we can, my birds can leave with some of these things in tow, helping them along.

The child was growing, and was becoming strong in spirit, being filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was upon him.- Luke 2:40

2 comments:

  1. "I hope she understands that there is strength in softness and power in true feminity" -beautiful.

    ReplyDelete