august

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I have some infinitely wise advice for you.

If you should ever hear a phone ring, and you look down at said phone and happen to see the area code 847, drop everything; pick it up right away. It is a magical number that will take you back in time to a day maybe six months ago when your husband could have called you on his way to his next job. Or whatever normal thing your husband was doing six months ago, before boot camp. After four weeks and two letters, I got to hear SquidRecruit's voice, in all its exhausted wonderfulness. He is doing well. He's kept his sense of humor but sounds like he's playing by the rules just fine, which I knew wouldn't be an issue. I can't explain to anyone who hasn't received that call, or one like it anyway, how it felt to just hear him being him. Saying goodbye  see you later was hard, but getting to talk to my best friend for 40-something glorious minutes was so worth it. The next call I get will likely be the "I'm a sailor" call, and by then we'll be heading to Chicago to watch him graduate and then abduct him for as long as the US Navy will let me. I'm counting the days...

No comments:

Post a Comment