august

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

40 Days of Water

"Lent is a call to live life fully for God, to faithfully fulfill our baptismal pledge even when it is hard. Even in days of doubt. Life in this world is only a moment, only a few seconds in the grand scheme of eternity, and we have this one chance to make the most of it. Created from the dust, we soon return to the dust. The comma is the previous sentence represents the entiretey of our lives. What will we do with that comma?"- Rev. Clayton Childers

I have struggled with that I would like to give up for Lent this year, because my motives have again and again been selfish, and about not giving up too much in my life of way too much. As early as last night, I had no idea what to do as far as giving something up with a genuine heart. Then I saw a link on my friend's facebook, and I knew it would be perfect.

http://40days.bloodwatermission.com/ - my username is ellebee on there if you'd like to keep up with me and hold me accountable!

40 days of no beverages but tap water. I love my fizzy drinks, way too much, so I'm making a point to stop and pray every time I get a craving. In addition, all the money I save will go to this amazing organization that works to bring clean water to Uganda. If I find myself whining about my lack of flavorful beverages, I will remember to thank God that I have water clean enough to drink, and drop some more money in the jar so that others can, too.

So I'm curious-do any of you observe Lent? And if so, what are you giving up?

1 comment:

  1. I've always known Lent as a Catholic tradition, so I've never observed it, but I think that sounds like a great mission, and a great personal way to stop drinking sodas. Sodas can be extremely tricky; very good, but very addicting, and they seem to hurt my tummy more & more. I'm in the process of switching to coffee, so I guess my personal mission is 40+ days of coffee for my morning drink, and no diet coke! :)

    ReplyDelete